With its five-year mission completed under the command of Captain James T. Kirk, the U.S.S. Enterprise™ NCC-1701 was ordered into drydock where it underwent extensive upgrades that affected every aspect of the venerable starship. The silhouette featuring its signature saucer-shaped primary hull was still underlapped by a lower secondary hull. Newly swept back pylons held modernized engines that were capable of warp factor 9. The ship’s skin may have provided the most recognizable change with its marine gray metal plating giving way to a glistening series of panels arranged in patterns that appear reminiscent of ancient Aztec hieroglyphics.